Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Racism

Well, it finally happened.  In your face, racism, here.  I'm not sure why I'm so surprised.  We've experienced the ignorant questions and old fashioned terms- mostly from kids and older adults.  (Why are her eyes like this?- make squinty eyes- Is he "oriental?") I've really just ascribed it to lack of exposure to any other ethnicities.  But the other day as I was pushing Pie and PB in the stroller next to the basketball court at our neighboorhood elementary school, I heard it.  Some teenage boys were shooting around but stopped and started talking loudly in fake asian voices after we passed by.  You know the ones... think Mr. Miagi.  They capped it off with laughing and pointing as we walked away.  I just ignored it because we really were almost out of earshot by the time I realized they were talking about us.  I'm not sure I'm totally comfortable with NOT saying anything but Pie is old enough to be hurt and I don't think she heard what was said.  Seriously, I was so MAD and really still am.  I just got a glimpse of what my darling kiddos are going to hear at some point in their school years and it was not pretty.  Good thing Lala is so confrontational... she'll have no problem telling anyone who insults her sibs to go to !@#$ !   And then I hope she kicks them in the shins.

1 comment:

Tracie said...

That just amazes me that teenagers would act like that. I mean, they KNOW better, so it's not ignorance. It's just choosing to be downright mean... and right in front of you, the mom.

I'm mad now, too. And totally shocked.

Argh.