Sunday, June 21, 2009

Lala is going to college.

Far earlier that her mama would like... you might be tempted to think that I have only young children... not so. Lala is actually a 29 year old doctoral candidate in an insanely precocious 9 year old body. She has been a constant challenge to raise from the moment she arrived. Hence this post.

As many of you know, Lala's school has really been willing to think outside the box for her for the last few years- placing her in accelerated classroom situations, going outside the school to find materials to teach her at her level etc. Well, as we look at moving now into the Intermediate Montessori program and on to middle school... it was looking kind of like an academic train wreck was brewing. So after much testing, talking and evaluating it looks like Lala will be skipping the 4th grade next year. It's a seamless transition because Intermediate Montessori is 4/5 anyway. She'll just enter as a 5th grader and spend just one year there instead of two.

Which brings me to my point... my baby will be leaving us for college a YEAR earlier than we thought (and I was mentally preparing myself for.) Waaaaaah. NOT READY! NOT READY!

Disclaimer: Parents take no credit for the production of this incredibly bright child, in fact, mother is considering feeding her some lead paint.

Happy Birthday Lala! I'm so sad to be missing it, my dearest girl!

2 comments:

Tracie said...

LOL on the lead paint comment!!!

Where's the post from Korea???

Kim Haughee said...

You are meeting with your son as I am posting this... so, I am praying for that bond to start to build with you even now. We are excited to hear and see and experience it to some degree with you... eager for pictures of you HOLDING YOUR BABY BOY!!! So exciting!! We are just PUMPED for you right now. Blessings upon blessings...